Servicemembers' and Veterans' Group - Life Insurance Handbook
a. Full-time SGLI coverage for members on active duty or active duty for training and members of the Ready Reserve/National Guard will terminate:
(1) The 120th day after separation or release from duty, or separation or release from from assignment to a unit or position of the Ready Reserve/National Guard;
(2) For members who are totally disabled on the date of separation or release, at the end of the last day of two years following separation or release or at the end of the day on which the insured ceases to be totally disabled, whichever is earlier, but in no event earlier than 120 days following separation or release from such duty;
(3) At the end of the 31st day of a continuous period of:
(a) Absence without leave;
(b) Confinement by military authorities under a court-martial sentence involving total forfeiture of pay and allowances; or
(c) Confinement by civilian authorities under sentence adjudged by a civilian court. Note: Any insurance terminated as the result of the absence or confinement, together with any beneficiary designation in effect at the time the insurance was terminated, will be automatically restored as of the date the member returns to duty with pay. (See chapter 4.)
(4) The last day of the month in which the member files with the uniformed service, written notice of an election not to be insured. The member may become insured again upon written request through the uniformed service as provided in paragraph 4.02.
b. Part-time coverage terminates as follows:
(1) Part-time coverage is in effect only on the days of active duty or active duty for training, and the hours of inactive duty training, including period of travel to and from duty. A temporary termination of coverage occurs at the end of each such period of duty, including travel time, and coverage is resumed at the commencement of the next period of covered duty or travel.
(2) When part-time coverage is extended for 120 days as the result of a disability, the extended coverage terminates at the end of the 120th day following the Reservist/National Guard active or inactive period during which the disability was incurred or aggravated.
(3) Unless extended for 120 days because of disability as referred to above, eligibility for part-time coverage terminates at the end of the last day of the member's obligation to perform such duty.
(4) If a member files with the uniformed service a written notice of an election not to be insured, coverage terminates on the last day of the period of active duty or active duty for training, or at the end of the period of inactive duty training, including travel time while returning from such duty during which the election is filed. If the election is filed with a member's uniformed service other than during a period of active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty the coverage is terminated immediately.
c. Full-time and part-time coverage terminates:
(1) At the end of the day before rights to the insurance are forfeited as described in paragraph 1.10; or
(2) At the end of the day before the termination of the group policy. NOTE: See paragraph 1.08 to determine when elections, designations, and periods of duty or obligations to perform duty are continuous and when not continuous.
d. Notice to spouse upon election not to be insured
(1) The member's spouse will be notified by the Department of Defense of any election by the member not to be insured at the last address of record of the spouse.
(2) The failure to notify a spouse of the election not to be insured does not affect the validity of the election.