Foreign School Program Approval Application Package Information
Review the information below regarding program approval application requirements before you engage in the application process. Schools are responsible for addressing all approval requirements and providing all required application documentation. All applications will be queued for evaluation in the order received once all required information and documentation is provided.
The application requirements detailed below apply to all approval requests, including requests from schools with previously approved programs. Current VA education program approval application requirements are significantly different from the abbreviated applications accepted prior to May 2020.
Note: Ensure completeness of the application. Incomplete applications will be denied.
Foreign School Program Approval Application package must include the following:
Completed/Signed Application for Approval of a Program in a Foreign Country (VA Form 22-0976).
Completed/Signed Conflicting Interests Certification for Proprietary Schools form (VA Form 22-1919).
- Not required for public schools. Public schools are educational institutions which operate under government control and are funded by the government.
A signed 38 USC 3679e School Compliance Form.
A copy of the school’s current academic catalog or other published material for its established policies concerning academic progress, attendance, student conduct, tuition refunds, fees, etc. and identifying the school’s leadership, or board of trustees and its academic calendar.
- The school’s official name must appear in the catalog. The institution’s name in box 3A on VA Form 22-0976 must match the name in the academic catalog.
- If the school only maintains an online catalog, a PDF version of the online publication must be submitted.
- Include a signed “true and correct” statement from a school official with the academic catalog. The true and correct statement must read: “The catalog and supporting documentation provided is certified as true and correct in content and policy.” This statement can be written on a page of the catalog or submitted on a separate page.
- The academic catalog is the school's primary official publication which conveys general information about the institution and important school policies related to enrollment. Although this publication is called an “academic catalog” in the U.S., such a document may be named differently in other countries. Acceptable documents may be published under the name prospectus, enrollment catalogue, university policies and regulations, undergraduate/graduate calendar of programs or any other such descriptive title. VA can accept whatever document serves as the institution’s primary publication of general information about the institution and important school policies related to enrollment for the “academic catalog” requirement as long as it is provided in its entirety and includes a date of publication or volume number.
- Identify the academic catalog’s date of publication and/or volume number. Program approvals are based on the information provided at the time of application. The specific publication date and/or volume is necessary because changes to school policies or program information may nullify a previously issued approval.
Provide proof of the school's financial soundness.
Note: Not required for facilities accredited by an agency listed at the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs.
- A financial report is acceptable.
- If the school is a government-funded institution that does not publish financial reports due to their government-funded status, evidence of the school's government-funded status will be accepted in lieu of a financial report. This allowance applies to institutions funded by their local/national government; this does not automatically apply to all institutions classified as “public schools” or every school recognized/licensed/accredited by their respective local/national government.
- A statement indicating that you are requesting electronic payments through the Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) from VA which includes the following information:
● Name of School,
● Address of School,
● VA Facility Code,
● Name of U.S. based or foreign Financial Institution,
● Address of U.S. based or foreign Financial Institution,
● Nine Digit ACH Bank Routing Number or SWIFT,
● U.S. Bank Account Number or IBAN, and
● Type of Account (Checking or Savings).
We understand that these requirements are very involved and realize you may have questions about items referenced in this message. We welcome the opportunity to assist you through this process.
Let us know if you have questions about completing the application process at email@example.com
Webpage links will not be accepted for any required information.
Information published and maintained online is dynamic and can change at any time after an approval decision has been made. For this reason, documents must be submitted in a static format such as PDF. We can accept the .pdf version of information from your school’s website if you capture the information and submit it in .pdf form but cannot accept a live link to the website for any of the required application items.
Documents must be submitted in English.
Provide translated versions if publications are released in a different language.
Zip files will not be accepted.
Documents compressed into a .zip file will not reach VA because our email security system does not permit receipt of .zip files by end users. Although your email message will reach the mail server, all attached .zip files will be filtered from the message before it is accessible by the Federal & State Approvals Team. Documents must be attached individually; they can be sent in multiple email messages if necessary.