On January 5, 2021, the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 was enacted. The law will have a transformative effect on the mission of Education Service to provide ready access to, and timely and accurate delivery of, education benefits to Veterans, Service members, and their families, as well as further enable VA to empower GI Bill® beneficiaries to achieve their vocational and career goals.
This new law features 32 provisions that impact the administration and oversight of GI Bill benefits including new requirements for enrollment verification, expanded restoration of entitlement opportunities, the sunsetting of the Montgomery GI Bill, substantial changes to our oversight of GI Bill approved schools, and other education related issues.
● Section 1001: Improvements to Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship program
● Section 1016: Accreditation for law schools
● Section 1019: Overpayments to eligible persons or Veterans
● Section 1022: VA treatment of for-profit educational institutions that convert to nonprofit educational institutions
● Section 1023: Authority for SAAs to conduct outreach activities
● Section 1104: Payment of education benefits in cases of withdrawal due to COVID-19
● Section 1105: Delimiting date extension due to COVID-19
● Section 1107: Inclusion of training establishments in certain provisions related to COVID-19 emergency
● Section 1108: Treatment of payment of allowances under Student Veteran Coronavirus Response Act
● Section 4302: Expansion of VET TEC Program
● Section 1106: Apprenticeship or On-the-Job training (OJT) requirements during COVID-19
● Section 1103: Effects of closure of educational institution and modification of courses by reason of COVID-19 emergency
● Section 1102: Continuation of educational assistance benefits during COVID-19
● Section 1101: Definitions
● Section 1011: Expansion of Transfer of Entitlement for Dependents under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®
● Passage of the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act
● Important Change: Overpayment and Debt Provision Update of New Law
● Important Change: Overpayment and Debt Provision Update of New Law (for users who received an
overpayment as of Jan 5th or after)
● VET TEC Funding Available April 1, 2021
● Important Update About the VET TEC Program (Public Law 116-315)
● Important Overpayment and Debt Provision Update of New Law
● Your Feedback is Important – Isakson & Roe, Section 1019 Training
● Important Update: Public Law 116-315 Section 1018
● COVID-19 Communications Toolkit | Protections for GI Bill® Benefits during COVID-19
● Isakson and Roe Provisions Office Hours – Resources Recap
● Isakson and Roe Updates: Sections 1015 and 1018
● Important GI Bill Update: New Monthly Enrollment Verification Requirement (SCO)
● Important Update: Isakson and Roe, Section 1015 Requirements Effective August 1, 2021
● Isakson and Roe, Section 1018 Requirements Effective August 1, 2021
● Section 1020 Letter: Public Law 116-315
Update your Gov Delivery subscriptions, modify your password or email address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. You will need to use your email address to log in. For questions or problems with the subscription service, visit subscriber help.
● Visit our GI Bill homepage for important announcements.
● Learn about education programs and compare benefits by school with the GI Bill Comparison Tool.
● Take advantage of your local Veterans Service Officer to help you navigate the new information.
● Visit the COVID-19 Student FAQs or SCO FAQs pages for more information and examples of how COVID-19
legislation may impact your benefits.