Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
eBenefits Access Your VA & DoDo Benefits 24-7


Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD)

BDD allows a Servicemember to submit a claim for disability compensation 60 90 to 180 days prior to separation, retirement, or release from active duty or demobilization. BDD can help you receive VA disability benefits sooneras soon as possible , with a goal of within 60 days after release or discharge. Submitting a BDD claim allows sufficient time to conduct an in-service examination during active duty. An in-service examination greatly increases the possibility of establishment of service-connection.


BDD requires a minimum of 90 days to allow sufficient time to complete the medical examination process (which may involve multiple specialty clinics) prior to separation from service. If you have less than 90 days to separation from service or are not available for examination for a 45 day time period from the date the claim was submitted, you can submit a BDD Excluded claim. BDD is available nationwide and open to all Servicemembers on full time active duty, including members of the National Guard and Reserve. Members of the Coast Guard may also participate.

Requirements To ParticipateBDD Program
Do I have a known separation date? Yes
How far away is my known separation date? 90- 180 days
When must I submit my service treatment records to VA? At the time claim is submitted
When and where must I complete all phases of my VA/DoD medical separation examination process? At your point of separation, prior to release from the military
When may I apply? If you meet all of the BDD requirements above, you may apply for BDD 90 -180 days prior to separation.

How to Apply

To file a pre-discharge claim under BDD, do one of the following:

  • Submit your application online using eBenefits and follow the instructions about where to submit your service treatment records
  • Complete the VA Form 21-526EZ, Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits, and submit it with copies of your service treatment records to the VA location nearest you.
  • Call VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to have the claim form mailed to you
  • Visit your local VA regional office. For the VA regional office nearest you, call VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000.

For More Information

If you are on a military installation, contact your local Transition Assistance Office or ACAP Center (Army only) to schedule appointments to attend VA benefits briefings and learn how to initiate your claim. You can also call the VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000.